Friday 28 March 2014

The Best Tomato Soup Ever!!

So I am a self confessed recipe hunter!! I'm always on the look out for easy recipes online. Once I start seeing strain this, wait for 5 hours do that, wait for 20 hours to spin the food in the air, I immediately close the page! "Aint nobody gat time for that"

Now if I see a dish I like somewhere and I am looking for a recipe for it, one of the first things I do is google the meal and add Ina Garten!!  She is one of the cooks on food network- Barefoot Contessa and her food always looks delicious and relatively effortless to make. Also, I have tried a couple of her recipes and they always turn out great. 

So when I saw that she had a simple tomato soup recipe, my first thought was tomato juice (yuck)... Lol. Buuuut the recipe looked too easy not to try! I am a serious sucker for easy recipes. So here is how it went.




Tomato Soup (Adapted from Ina Garten's recipe)

Ingredients
4 tablespoons olive oil
2 medium red onions (chopped)
2 carrots (unpeeled and chopped)
3 cloves minced garlic 
10 medium tomatoes
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1 tablespoon tomato puree (e.g. De Rica or Gino)
A handful of chopped fresh basil leaves (Efinrin)
2 cubes of Knorr Chicken
2 tea cups of water
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
180g cream 

Directions
1. Heat the olive oil in a large, pot over medium-low heat. 
2. Add the onions and carrots and cook for about 10 minutes, until soft. 
3. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute. 
4. Add the tomatoes, sugar, tomato paste, basil, knorr chicken, water, salt, and pepper and stir well. 
5. Bring the soup to a boil, lower the heat to the lowest, and simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes, until the tomatoes are very tender.
6. Add the cream to the soup and blend with your blender 

Serve with bread











Results: Delicious!!
Difficult Level: Easy

Making It Again? Oh yes!

6 comments:

  1. Am a bit sceptical....blended cooked tomato sauce with cream??? will try it out though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was EXTREMELY sceptical as well too, but it turned out great!! Lets know what you think when you try it

    ReplyDelete
  3. Still on the tomatoes... did you have to get "sweet" tomatoes?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Alice, No o... I literally used the tomatoes we all normally use for making stew.

      Delete
  4. I tried this last night and it was actually good even though I used oregano instead of basil. The only thing I will change for when I make it again would be to blend finely, I would have loved the consistency to be smoother.
    Hand blender out, Yem's fruit/smoothie blender in!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh great! So happy you tried it out and it turned out nice:)

    ReplyDelete