Tuesday 1 April 2014

What is an Entrée?

A Roast Potato and Lamb; Mushroom and Steamed Carrots Entree 


So my cousin was telling me about the Knorr Taste Test Season 1 auditions where contestants were asked “what is an entrée”. Answers ranged from "an entree is an appetizer", "an entrée is what you use to start a meal", "next question..."  You can watch some of the auditions here. The show looks very interesting and they are already on Season 2, so will definitely be watching from this point forward

Now don’t get me wrong, I did not know what an entrée was for the longest time either! It was when I started watching Chopped (a TV show on the food network that I am obsessed with it) that I realised an entrée was the main course. However, even when my cousin asked me what an entree was,  I couldn’t quite remember if an entrée was the starter or the main meal. Entrée sounds to me like “entry” so my guess was starters. But erm, I wasn't right. Dictionary.com defines an entrée as "a dish served as the main course of a meal."

So now next time someone says “oh lets move on to the entrée; or what are we having for the entrée” we all know that is just a posh way of saying the main course i.e. the rice, the amala, the potato, the pounded yam, the starch :) 

So who else will be watching the Knorr Taste Test show? If you were asked to make the perfect entrée, what would you make? Let's know your thoughts.






No comments:

Post a Comment